Sunday, April 10, 2011

Artists We ♥: Richard Avedon

Richard Avedon, Dovima with elephants, evening dress by Dior, Cirque d'Hiver, August 1955


The other day Tory Burch's blog posted on photographer Greg Lotus, showing this picture (Below) from Italian Vogue.




I instantly thought back to the amazing Richard Avedon exhibit I attended at the Boston MFA early over the holidays (by the way, the MFA has finally opened it's American Wing back-up after a spectacular renovation.... if you haven't been to Boston in a while it is a must see).

There are few photographers, besides Slim Aarons, whose work I can imagine inspiring countless future photo-shoots for R. Williams. A few of my favorites from the collection were (and I apologize for the poor quality blackberry pictures---- click on them to see them bigger):


I like the stripes of the flowing fabric, and how the angle of the models arm echos the silhouette of the pyramid. Simple, bold, elegant.



Great print on the scarf, and interesting negative space.


I'm quite obsessed with this guy's bowtie and am contemplating having an imitation made (you have to view the picture bigger to get it).


Simply Iconic.

-Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment